Friday, January 27, 2006

Civic Duty

Two nights ago I made a trek to the Upper West Side for a dinner party at my friend Mary's apartment. The dinner was to be attended by myself, Katherine, and Brenda. I met them, if you could believe it, while I served on a Grand Jury. It has been over 3 months since we parted ways and voted to indict our last defendant and Mary was gracious enough to invite us over so we could reminisce about all those crazy New York City criminals.




Katherine on the left, Brenda on the right

Serving on a Grand Jury was an eye-opening and enriching experience. Besides the fact that I didn't have to go into the office for 20 days, I learned a tremendous amount about the US justice system and met a number of fascinating people along the way. The jurors that I served with came from all different walks of life - from a taxi cab driver, to a painter, to an art dealer. The ones that sat adjacent to me were Mary: a talented and well-travelled singer songwriter, Katherine: an expert masseuse that works for a posh hotel along Central Park, and Brenda: a bi-continental flight attendant who divides her time between living in New York, Paris, and wherever other amazing city her job takes her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment